Sunday 31 July 2011

Tartan textiles...

Well i am very excited today because I am going back home to bonny Scotland to visit my friends and family whom I haven't seen for a year! There's going to be lots going on so there'll be a distinct lack of bloggage for a few weeks, just giving you a heads up!

I'm researching fabrics, textiles etc at the moment and have rediscovered my love for wool, flannel and felt for upholstery, rugs, throws etc...I have a special soft spot for tartan wools, can you tell i'm homesick!? This is close to my heart- the Dress Campbell tartan in soft lambswool....I love the blues and greens with a simple streak if yellow accent...
My love for grey in a room - which is then punctuated with bright splashes of colour in the form of accessories - means I like to use basic furniture which i can 'dress-up'. This means the space can always be kept vibrant and has room to change through new accessorizing and colours whilst maintaining the basics. I love a wool base for upholstery, it withstands daily use well and can be soft/perfect to relax into... for example this beautiful grey wool armchair gives a sophisticated but also relaxed/country feel to a room:
Teamed with a splash of colour from a bright silk thai pillowcase would give a nice contrast in texture and colour...

Or instead of contrasting - using a beautiful soft woollen rug or throw to add colour and cosiness brings back thoughts of a warm farmhouse living room:



I especially love the injection of aqua marine blue into the grey, adding a coolth to the soft/warm texture...

I cannot wait to head home and wrap myself up in a gorgeous throw infront of the fire (even thogh it is Summer in Scotland this could still be potentially neccessary!!)
There's certainly no room for woollen rugs in the Aussie hot hot heat!

Well I'm off to finish packing,




Have a lovely 2 weeks!

Alice xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice

    Thanks so much for the link to Style Me Pretty. That's a great blog! Have a great trip!

    Nadine

    ReplyDelete